From 8am this morning until 8am tomorrow morning, I’m joining in on the 24 Hour Read-A-Thon! It’s sort of a reading challenge, only everyone participates at the same time. For 24 hours, we read books, post in our blogs about our reading, and visit other readers’ blogs. We also participate in mini-challenges throughout the day.
Welcome to everyone heading over here for a break from the read-a-thon! I hope that you’re enjoying yourself so far, and I’m really happy to have the opportunity to host a mini-challenge on my blog to give you a bit of a break from whatever you’re currently reading.
This mini-challenge is fairly simple: you’re going to create a Wordle based on a review or discussion post from your blog.
The winner of this mini-challenge will be receiving a book of their choice with a value of up to $15 Canadian including taxes. (Entries are open to people from any country that The Book Depository ships to.)
In case you haven’t made a Wordle before, here’s a few instructions to get you started:
- Start by navigating to Wordle.net, the web service we’ll be using for this challenge.
- Click on the “Create” hyperlink in big letters.
- Here’s where you get to choose: you can either input the URL for your blog (a specific post, your blog as a whole, or just your feed), or a chunk of arbitrary text. It’s up to you what you want to use for your Wordle. (For my example on the right, I’ve used an old discussion post about why teenagers should read classics.)
- Click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page.
- One the website has loaded a clump of words for you, it’s time to be creative! You can change or customize lots of things about your graphic: colour scheme, shape, orientation, font …
Once you’re finished creating your image, embed it into a post on your blog (there is code with instructions at the bottom of the page when you finish up creating your Wordle). Then link up your blog post using the InLinkz below, and you’re done! Note: Apparently the InLinkz is being hit and miss; if it’s not visible when you’re here, just add your link in a comment and I’ll make sure to enter you!
And the winner is …