From 4pm this afternoon until 4pm tomorrow afternoon, I’m joining in on the 24 Hour Read-A-Thon! It’s sort of a reading challenge, only everyone participates at the same time. For 24 hours, we read books, post in our blogs about our reading, and visit other readers’ blogs. We also participate in mini-challenges throughout the day.
This is my fifth time participating in the read-a-thon. This time, I’m only reading, no cheerleading – though I am hosting a mini-challenge in Hour 23! Also, due to the time difference and the different week structure here (weekends are Friday/Saturday), I’m going to be doing part of the read-a-thon at work!
Here’s my tentative list of books that I’ve got ready to choose from:
- Memory Mambo by Achy Obejas
- Landing by Emma Donoghue
- Jumpstart the World by Catherine Hyde Ryan
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
- Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
- Empress of the World by Sara Ryan
I obviously have other choices available if none of these strike my fancy at the time … but I’m going to try to keep to it as much as possible!
(To try to keep the damage to your feed readers to a minimum, and to stay organized, I’m going to be posting all my read-a-thon updates and mini-challenges below.)
Hour 1: 4-5pm
I had a quick nap pre-readathon, and Zaid let me sleep until almost halfway through the first hour. Then I spent a bit of time getting this post sorted out and answering the questionnaire below, and am moving into reading Boy Meets Boy on my iPad for the last ten minutes.
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? – I’m reading today from my partner’s house in Dubai, and then tomorrow I’ll be reading most of the day from Abu Dhabi, at my work.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? – I’ve heard such great things about Jumpstart the World that I’m having trouble waiting for it.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? – Tonight, we’re going out to a restaurant called Spice Island to meet up with an old college dean of Zaid’s. It’s one of our favourite places to eat, but rare because it’s expensive. I know that’s not really a snack, but it’s the food I’m looking forward to most!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! – I’m getting married next August!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? – I’m not going to worry so much about how many hours I read. Today’s mission is to read as much as I can, but still keep it balanced with enough sleep to be functional (and un-grumpy) at work tomorrow.
Hour 2: 5-6pm
Continued reading Boy Meets Boy. Left to pick up hockey equipment that Zaid was purchasing from someone. He drove, so I could keep reading.
Hour 3: 6-7pm
Continued reading Boy Meets Boy for the first half hour. Then picked people up and headed out for dinner.
Hours 4-6: 7-10pm
Dinner and evening out with Zaid, his college dean, and his partner. No reading happened.
Hour 7: 10-11pm
Continued reading Boy Meets Boy on the car drive home from dinner (first half hour). Settled down to mark exams and listen to Empress of the World for the rest of the hour.
Hour 8: 11pm-12am
Continued listening to Empress of the World and finished marking exams.
Hour 9: 12-1am
Worked on some things for school; no reading.
Hours 10-13: 1-5am
Hour 14: 5-6am
Sleeping and getting ready for work.
Hour 15: 6-7am
Listening to Empress of the World on the drive to school.
Hour 16: 7-8am
Listening to Empress of the World on the drive to school. Then work started.
Hours 17-19: 8-11am
Teaching and doing prep work.
Hour 20: 11am-12pm
Reading Boy Meets Boy between classes.
Hour 21: 12-1pm
Continued reading Boy Meets Boy, then taught some more.
Hour 22: 1-2pm
Taught, then started listening to Empress of the World because my iPad battery died.
Hour 23: 2-3pm
Continued listening to Empress of the World until the last class of the day started. My readathon mini-challenge, Book To Movie, went live.
Hour 24: 3-4pm
Finished teaching, then drove home from work while listening to Empress of the World.